Tuesday 27 January 2009

Training, training and more training!!

I came across this recently...those of you that know me, know I'm all about physical preparation and true athletic performance... well these guys are amongst the greatest athletes ever...

Enjoy..



That sort of stuff just makes me want to go and train!!

As the tough guy is only 5 days away, my next post will be about peaking for the big day!

Don't forget I'm raising money for Cancer Research and you can still sponsor me at http://www.justgiving.com/neilparsley

I realised yesterday that I'd forgotten to post my training at the end of the last update. So here's the last 2 weeks or so of hard work!!

My Training log

Day 29
Pesonal Best!!
Did my usual bike loop for a Saurday morning, but decided as I had to stop to pick something up at approx. half way that I would go all out for the first part...well anyone who knows the Wirral should be a little impressed.. I think..I did from my house in West Kirby to the bottom of Beryl Road in Noctorum in 13 mins 40secs..and I stopped at pedestrian lights for an old lady to cross as there was plenty of people about!!! Total ride time 39 mins


Day 28
Early run
I knew I had a busy day planned so I set the alarm clock for 5.45, got dressed and left the house as quiet as a mouse so I didn't wake Josh or Alfie and did 3 miles easy run...nothing fancy..especially after yesterday's intervals. I did 50 press ups, 15 overhand chins & 25 dips 5 mins after getting back.HR 150-170. Job done & off to work


Day 27
Intervals!!
This was the exact same session that I was nearly sick on, 13 days previous (see posts below)
This time I managed 7 reps of the 1km treadmill intervals with bodyweight exercises in between..... for the last 90 seconds of the 7th and last 1km I was imagining every member of my immediate family standing right next to the treadmill and how they would be shouting at me to finish the last rep!!! Now that's a kickass interval session...and I know that's hard work in the bank!! Max HR 200!!!!


Day 26
Fresh head!!
You'll realise why I've mentioned 'fresh head' when you read the next day's info...but all I'll say is that I was up bright and early to run up a really steep hill to the highest point in Sheffield that I could see out of my hotel window on the previous night. Duration 35 mins.HR 160-192

Day 25
EIS National Conference
Ok, so here's where the discipline really was tested...The EIS National Conference held once per year is the only time that all 350 people who work for the Institute get together- a combination of interesting key note speakers and topic specific workshops..as well as a huge PI** up on the 1st night. (last year was a 6pm-4am session with numerous top strength coaches and performance analysts..crazy dancing and stupid drinking games!!)

As we were leaving at 11am for the Conference I made sure I got a fairly tough 4 mile run (HR 160-185) in before meeting the rest of the strength & conditioning coaches to travel to Sheffield in Jonesy's pride and joy...his new BMW!!

After Steve Cram (800m/1500m ledgend and our Chief Executive) offically opened the Conference and new National Director, Conor O'Shea (Ex Ireland & London Irish rugby player) gave his speech on getting focused and getting down to some hard work for the coming year but also mentioning long term planning for the biggest sporting event to ever take place in this country.. London 2012 Olympics...everyone got into the swing of the things with the excellent 4 course meal with plenty of free wine....except for me who had fresh orange all night and promptly snuck out before the dessert to get some much needed bo peep and unfortunately steer clear of all my crazy mates!!

Day 24
Rest Day

Day 23
Trail run.Had a great run around the marine lake, followed by the 'beast' (hill..see earlier posts) which I continued to run off after I got to the top...1st time ever!!..stayed on the fell for a futher 20 mins finding a couple of new trails in the process. Run time 55 mins. HR 150-196. 50 press ups & 10 handstand push ups when I got back. I did some some contrast showering (hot & coldx5 approx.20 secs of each) for a bit of regeneration followed by a really good stretch especially on calves and soleus


Day 22
Easy... again!!
40 mins easy bike ride. HR 130-145. I had to stop myself going at it hard as I knew I needed to be fresh for the much more important long multi-terrain run I had planned for Sunday.


Day 21
Easy run
3 miles easy before getting in the car to go to work. More about getting my legs continaully used to running so that I'm ready to step the mileage and intensity up next week before I ease down before the race. 25 mins HR 150-170

Day 20
Recovery day
45 minutes on the mincer...sorry the X-trainer...two of the other coaches I work with each have pet names for the X-trainer..Cookey (S&C coach for England Squash) calls it the mincer- as he thinks it's only for weak men or women..sorry if you're either...while Jonesy (S&C for GB water polo) calls it the 'the desperate housewife machine'...either way I didn't get off feeling like a real man but the goal of the session was recovery and to give my feet a rest from any impact..so it did the trick!!

Day 19
Wrestling circuit
Because the wrestlers I coach, have realised I've stepped up my training for the impending tough guy, they have been giving me a bit of stick about doing one of the circuits- the one's that I usually stand there, with my whistle and stopwatch, shouting at them and trying to push them to spewsville!!
So, I gave the whistle and stopwatch to Anatloi (GB head coach-former Ukranian head coach) and got stuck in!! 40 mins later the guys we're telling me that they thought I was quite.... fit for an old fart!! Cheers lads..
**The circuit was composed of 12 wrestling specific stations e.g rope climb, dummy throw, elastics, neck rolls etc.. Each station was 30secs with the rest being 30 secs of running around the outside of the mat...yes..there wasn't any rest!!!...a real tough circuit...we did 3 circuits with 2 mins rest between circuits..I was totally spent by the end, but obviously didn't let the lads see/know this!!

Day 18
Across the Mersey again!!
Rode to work in Liverpool again today, great ride...nice fresh day...great views of the world famous Liver building and new Echo Arena..ride time 1 hr 10. HR 130-145








Till next time

Train hard, train smart

Neil

http://www.justgiving.com/neilparsley

No comments:

Post a Comment